Current:Home > ContactNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -GrowthProspect
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 04:43:17
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (49)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Shares of building materials maker Holcim jump as it plans to list unit in the US
- Yemen’s Houthi rebels say they attacked a US warship without evidence. An American official rejects the claim
- 'Vanderpump Rules,' 'Scandoval' and a fight that never ends
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- US safety agency closes probe into Dodge and Ram rotary gear shifters without seeking a recall
- Jay Leno files for conservatorship over his wife's estate due to her dementia
- Takeaways from the AP’s investigation into how US prison labor supports many popular food brands
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Protesting farmers tighten squeeze on France’s government with ‘siege’ of Olympic host city Paris
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Let's do this again, shall we? Chiefs, 49ers running it back in Super Bowl 58
- How Taylor Swift Can Make It to the Super Bowl to Support Travis Kelce
- Watch: Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce share celebratory kiss after Chiefs win AFC championship
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Former NHL player accused of sexual assault turns himself in to Ontario police
- 'A stand-out guy': Maine town manager dies after saving his son from icy pond
- The head of a Saudi royal commission has been arrested on corruption charges
Recommendation
Small twin
Taking away Trump’s business empire would stand alone under New York fraud law
Arizona Republicans choose Trump favorite Gina Swoboda as party chair
California restaurant incorporates kitchen robots and AI
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
See the moment climate activists throw soup at the ‘Mona Lisa’ in Paris
China is protesting interrogations and deportations of its students at US entry points
Small biz owners scale back their office space or go remote altogether. Some move to the suburbs